Your Skin- An Overview:
Your skin is the first line of defence that you have against the world. As a result, though, this protective outer lining is also the first to get affected by a number of issues, conditions and disorders, that can range from minor issues like rashes or pimples to major ones like skin cancer.
To tackle any disorder that may arise, it is important to get the help of a specialist, who is trained and experienced in managing the different problems that your skin can suffer from. This specialised branch of medicine, called dermatology, deals with the care and treatment of the skin, nails and hair.
What are the most common skin disorders?
A dermatologist will help you manage a variety of different skin-related diseases. Some of the most common skin diseases seen include:
- Skin cancer
- Fungal infections
- Acne, which affects almost every individual to one degree or another.
- Hand dermatitis, which can result from external contact with detergents and household chemicals, which can affect most women.
How Can Dermatologists Help You?
Your skin may need specialised help at one point of time or the other. A trained dermatologist is an expert who can help with treatment options ranging from routine outpatient care to intensive care for patients with dermatological emergencies.
A dermatologist will have expertise in basic sciences including microbiology, pathology, biochemistry, physics, physiology, and endocrinology. They are also familiar with all the other medical specialities because of their consultant work and because skin diseases are often associated with internal conditions.
Depending on the requirement, a dermatologist may also perform skin surgery in situations that require:
- To prevent or provide early control of disease, e.g., remove skin cancer.
- To improve the skin’s appearance by removing growths, discolouration, or damage caused by ageing, sunlight or disease.
- To establish a definite diagnosis (biopsy).